Monday, April 19, 2010

Omega-3 Effervescent


It can be hard with our busy lifestyles to eat all of the foods we need to be healthy. One of the hardest foods for me and my family to find the time to eat is fish! For one thing, my kids don't like it, and for another, it can be very expensive and time consuming to make. Perhaps that is why my grandmother always took her cod liver oil capsules. I can remember as a child trying these horrible tasting pills. The taste would continue to come back up into my throat hours after having swallowed them. "YUCK" I didn't realize it then, but now I know that Cod Liver Oil contains omega-3 Fatty Acids that are extremely important to my health.

Our bodies can not make Omega-3 fatty acids on it's own. They need to be consumed and there are very few sources we can get them from: cold water fish, some nuts, olive oil, beans, green leafy vegetables, and flaxseed. As you can imagine most of us do not get the necessary amounts of omega -3 fatty acids in our diets and therefore should be supplemented. (Effervescents are an effective way to take supplements as studies show that they are more quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and are not as hard on the stomach as pills.) The health benefits from these include but are not limited to the following:

  • heart support (may help lower blood pressure and triglycerides)

  • memory and brain support

  • bone and joint support

  • supports vision

  • They are also an anti-inflammatory and may therefore reduce inflammation and inflammatory diseases.

Since it is hard to get Omega-3's in my diet and I do not like taking Cod Liver Oil Capsules, The Vitamin Shoppe agreed to let me try Nordic Naturals, Omega-3 Effervescent supplement also referred to as "Fish Soda". It is a powder that you mix with 4-8 ounces of water to drink. I admit I was very skeptical at first, that is until I tried it! I was afraid that it would smell and taste like those cod liver oil capsules of my childhood, but it didn't. My husband and I both really enjoyed the creamy orange flavor!

The Vitamin Shoppe would like to give 5 Northern Mama Readers a chance to try out Nordic Naturals, Omega-3 effervescent supplement! (2-3 individual serving packets)

To Enter:

Simply tell me what your favorite fish is! ( please remember to leave a way to be contacted if you are not a blogger)

Extra Entries:

  • Be a Northern Mama Facebook Fan
  • Subscribe via email
  • Follow via Goggle

(Give Away open to Canadian and American Residents only. Give Away closes May 3, 2010, 12pm EST) Read Give Away rules for details.

Review By Nikki

16 comments:

  1. I don't like fish lol...well I guess I like tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say I love halibut.
    formycontests@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow you on GFC as couponmom
    formycontests@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love halibut & salmon.

    jenyasha87 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. your fb fan

    jenyasha87 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. subscribe via email

    jenyasha87 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. follow via google

    jenyasha87 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like tuna, but my favorite fish is really goldfish crackers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I luv wild caught salmon, grilled! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete