Friday, April 24, 2009

How Did You Celebrate Earth Day?

We were actually blessed with glorious weather on Earth Day and spent the day outdoors! I transplanted my pumpkin seedlings into larger pots and planted more vegetable seeds but I also decided to start some of my flowers from seed early. The growing season starts so late here I really like to get a head start! I planted Nasturtiums which are such lovely edible flowers {my husband loves them in salad}, Echinacea {purple coneflowers} which I hope to learn to make tea from this year, Scarlet Runners to climb our deck, asters, hollyhocks, and zinnia. What a joy it is watching our seedlings grow knowing they will give us sustanence through the summer and fall. I enjoy watching my children eat fresh from the garden. It reminds me of my childhood snapping beans from my parents' garden and shelling peas.
We also spent the day doing the less enjoyable task of raking our yard. Any spring task is a godsend though after such a seemingly long winter.
My children made birdfeeders out of large pinecones, peanut butter and bird seeds! I love these simple nature crafts that not only entertain the kids but teach them about caring for mother earth and her creatures. All you need is a large pinecone collected from a nature hike, local tree, or if need be a craft store. Cover it in a thick coating of peanut butter and roll it in birdseed. Attach a string and hang it in a tree for the local birds to feast upon!



No comments:

Post a Comment