Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Unwilling Witch Goes To Ballet School! ~ Book Review


Living across the horizon on "The Otherside" we couldn't possibly understand the trials and tribulations of a Witch's Familiar unless we've received the inside scoop by sneaking a peek at Rumblewick's Diary! Rumblewick Spellwacker Mortimer B. is a witch's familiar, a black cat with a very frustrating and exasperating task of keeping Haggy Aggy--his "contra-turvy" and unwilling witch--in line! When Haggy Aggy takes a trip across the horizon--in her pink car rather than on her broomstick like a proper-practicing witch, no less--and becomes enamored by the beauty of "Otherside" ballet" Rumblewick's at his wit's end! If the High Hags find out Haggy Aggy is enrolled in "Otherside Ballet School" Rumblewick knows what will happen:
"They'll hang me over a hot cauldron until my fur curls and/or send me back to first grade at the Awethunder School for Familias." How will Rumblewick get out of this mess?
One of the many joys I've found as my children grow is that their tastes in literature also mature. It is wonderful to read books to your children that also appeal to you and your sense of humour. Rumblewick's Diary My Unwilling Witch Goes to Ballet School by Hiawyn Oram is just that sort of read. Quirky and filled with humour this book had both my 7 year old daughter and I giggling! Oram writes without patronizing children with lower level diction. Rumblewick even provides the reader with a dictionary or explanation of terms in the back of the book. As an educator and an avid reader I have always believed exposing children to higher level diction promotes more mature word use and understanding in children. Though a few of the nuances of the narrative were lost on my daughter she found the book thoroughly entertaining. The graphic nature of the print, the varying typeface and the "scrapbook-like" illustrations were appealing and added an err of authenticity to the books "diary" format!
My daughter and I look forward to reading the latest of "Rumblewick's Diaries: My Unwilling Witch Sleeps Over" {August 2009} and you should read it too according to a message from Hagatha Agatha {Haggy Aggy for short, HA for shortest}:
"I went to a lot of trouble to steal these Diaries for you. And the Publisher gave me a lot of shoes in exchange. If you do not read them the Publisher may want the shoes back. So please, for my sake--the only witch in witchdom who isn't willing to scare you for her own entertainment--ENJOY THEM BOTH."
Help Haggy Aggy keep her shoes and be sure to sneak a peek at Rumblewick's diaries A.S.A.P.!!
Thank you to Alice Morley of Hachette Book Group for this review opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment